Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Masked Ball Swap

Stacey of Flotsam & Jetsam sent out an invitation to join her Masked Ball Swap. I loved the idea of putting a fashionable spin on the Halloween theme so I joined in. My partner was Amy who lives in California. She doesn't have a blog but you can see some of her paper creations here. Her package was full of fun things: jars of Halloween candy whose lids were topped with a toad and a rat, painted party horns and a pumpkin pie candle, a fancy little coffin box topped with my monogram and filled with treats and an orange striped billard ball--unlucky number 13! All wonderful, but I was really wowed by the cigar box ballroom she created for me. That's the cover above and below you get a peek inside. Amy added beautiful glitter details to the belles' costumes and surrounded them with tiny pumpkins, a bat and a cat. Don't you just love the girl on the swing?


For Amy, I covered a box with flocked paper...black damask for the body and black and silver stripes for the lid. I embellished a butterfly mask to decorate the top.


I created a couple of tags in the ball theme and wrapped fancy trims around them to use in future projects. A vintage box discovered in Minnesota did hold a dark secret...a vintage heart-shaped perfume bottle with a keyhole design. I filled it with black glitter and tied a silver ribbon and a little black key just under the cap. A rhinestone shoe pin from Victorian Trading Company was added as a keepsake of that imaginary night of dancing and intrigue.


The swap was a lot of fun and I'd like to thank Stacey for proposing it and Amy for being such a generous and creative partner.

3 comments:

AmyB said...

Carla,
Thanks for posting pics of the swap! I have some less than wonderful pics of the items you sent posted to my Flickr. (Photography isn't my strong suit) I'm supplying the treats for my daughter's class "Pumpkin Party" and her Brownie meeting this week, so I've got baking in my future! - Amy

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate Halloween in a more genteel fashion. The boxes are both perfect for display and encouraging more creativity.
Hope all is well for you during this glorious season we call Autumn.
Susan

Stacey said...

What lovely items! Looks like both of you had a good time- I'm so glad. I'm sorry that I haven't posted about my swap yet- I've been a little down but I was able to do a quick post on a great store we visited in New Orleans. Anyway, thanks for participating and being a good swap partner for Amy.