Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Puppy Valentines

What a delight it has been to participate in the Puppy Love Tag Book Swap. Karla, who was our hostess, created covers for more than 50 of us who wanted to swap and put the books together with ribbons and charms. My cover has what I think of as one of Karla's signatures--a pleated ruffle made from vintage paper. And look at the cute little Scottie dog charm. It reminds me of third grade, when a boy who liked gave me the prize from his box of Cracker Jacks. Ah, young love! Here's a look at how six of the swappers celebrated the theme with paper, glue and creativity!
Debe Leon wowed me with her clever combination of cheesecloth, crepe paper, flocked hearts and a vintage valentine image , but those tiny dog bones dotting the red and white baker's twine really pulled at my heartstrings
Robin chose a vintage photo with dogs that look a bit like my terriers. How important it is to claim things with the word "mine" when you are young. Robin expressed this so beautifully by adding the hand-stitched sentiment to this wonderful image.
Don't you love the concentration this boy is putting into expressing his affection for a girl while his faithful pup waits for his attention? Amy Wald added a sweet crepe paper ruffle stitched with Valentine's Day red to finish her tag.
Like me, Carrie Witherite, chose an image of a white dog sitting on a pink pillow. I love the Victorian feeling she created for this tag has with rose wallpaper and layers of green velvet ribbon, pink rickrack and delicate lace.
Debra Ganas picked a cute vintage image to show that no matter what language we use to say the word love, the meaning is the same everywhere--we don't want to leave the one we l0ve behind. The striped scalloped circle pulls the words and the image together and adds a playful toch.
I know this tag's maker--it's Shawn. I met her and her cute little daughter at Karla's blogger tea party. The deeper colors and wistful image she chose to portray that old-fashioned phrase "Be Still My Heart" are just perfect.
Valentine's Day may be over, but thanks to Karla and all of these talented women, I have lovely, lasting memories of it.

10 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hi, Carla...belated Happy Valentine's greetings to you:)
Wasn't this a great swap? I love the tags in my book and it looks like you received some lovely ones too! Thanks for posting pics--it's fun to see them.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Thanks for posting about your tags! I added this to my list of links.

Cindy said...

Everyone did a fantastic job! I love it.

c

Anonymous said...

Hi Carla! i adore my tag from the puppy love swap from you, thank you so much! there are pics up on my blog if you want to see..
xoxo, Tiffany

Jessi Nagy said...

hey there all of these tags are just darling.
oxoxo,
jessi

LiLi M. said...

Hello! Nice to meet you! I am here to thank you for your great tag! I love it! If you pop over to my blog you can see your tag in a lovely tag book. Thanks!

Robin said...

Hi Carla!
I loved participating in this swap! Glad you liked the little tag I made! I imagined the little girl talking and saying "mine!"

Stacey said...

I LOVE the tags you made... Absolutely fabulous! I would love to do an exchange if you're game. I'm an antiques dealer specializing in small, intricate items and crafty bits. I could send you some items for your art work in exchange for one of the tags ... But I completely understand if you can't. But I do so love your tag!

Debe said...

Glad Karla let us know where our tags went since there are so many talented people out there. Happy that you ladies realized those were dog bones on the twine...my hubby thought they were bows! Seems all our tags went to happy homes!! Fun!

Shawn said...

I"m so happy you got one of mine!! I'm so bad I haven't even got my tag book posted yet!